Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My viewpoint on high basal dosages! Please comment with your thoughts!!!

  • I wrote this on a post in facebook today and I wanted to document it here as I think I explained my thoughts really well.  Tell me what you think.  I feel very strongly about this and would love to have a great chat about it with others.  Candy is never deprived of anything that she wants to eat.  If she wants candy or fruit or meat she can have it.  I think having her basal insulin (levemir) high like this is what makes her diabetes so flexible and manageable.  





    Alisha Wolf I strongly feel a high basal insulin is the key to solid numbers. We have a HIGH basal dose and our carb ratios are 1:12 , 1:14 and 1:15 for meals. 1:14 or 1:15 for snacks depending on the time of day. The high basal dose keeps Candy's levels very even and the less rapid prevents the major swings of highs and lows.
    16 minutes ago · Like · 1
  • Alisha Wolf Your basal insulin should be 60% of your total daily dosage (TDD)

  • Alisha Wolf I know the fear of going low with a high basal dose is what prevents people from doing it but here's my thoughts on it. If your child has a high basal dose then that insulin is working slowly over the day to keep the levels level. Once you introduce carbs to the body it has the high basal dose to start working on the carbs before the rapid is active. and then on the other side it also keeps your rapid insulin low to prevent hypos. Less rapid less hypos. More basal less highs post meals. Make sense? I thinI have something valid in this finding. I would love to find studies about this. I have been the only one that has made changes to Candy's insulin since dx 1 year ago and I really feel this is the reason for her fantastic results. And at the same time the high basal dose will help with the hormones as well that affect the bg. My girl would go into the 20s during horse shows and exercise but since increasing the basal dose she now only goes around 12s during this time.
    6 minutes ago · Like · 2
  • Alisha Wolf If you do try this just increase SLOWLY and with the advice from your endo team if you are not comfortable doing it on your own. After all these are our kids and we do live with them everyday. Trust your judgement. Oh also when we increased the basal I also decreased/increased the ratios from 1:11 to the ones we have now.....1:12.1:14 & 1:15. Thanks for allowing me to share my experience....
    5 minutes ago · Like · 1

No comments:

Post a Comment