Saturday, September 21, 2013

What happens in 1 year of being a diabetic...

Here is my list of things that a diabetic gets to do, good and bad, just because they are a diabetic.
It's kinda of fun to make a list like this to see what really happens in the life of a diabetic!

Some of the many things that a diabetic has done in one year:

-Insulin injections 6 x day = 2200 needles

-Blood Glucose tests 8-10 x a day = 2900 + finger pokes

-Doctor visits (diabetic reasons only) every 3 months = 4+ 

-Blood draws every 3 months = 4+

-Low blood glucose treatments 3 times per week (at the worst) = 156

-Feeling ill from being high (and I don't mean from drugs ;-) ) 3 times a week = 156

-Missing out on fun times or yummy treats because of the disease, once a week = 52

Now with all that being said,  Diabetes can be a lot of fun too.

All the fun things that a diabetic gets to do that others many not get to :-)

-Receive special and random gifts.

-Stay up late

-Have Juice, chocolate, or candy for a bedtime snack

-Miss school just because your appointments go later than expected so there's no point in going back to school.

-Take extra trips away from home because the doctor is 4 hours away from us

-Being more in tune with the food that is eaten

-Get to test some new cool devices

-Have your very own cell phone

-Get extra special time with mom, even if it's just a few minutes here and there because of the extra time it takes to do things.


Now it's time for MOM's list of good and bad.

The hard part about being a mom of a T1 diabetic:

- Staying up late/Not getting as much sleep

- Stressing over the T1 child while at a birthday party/sleepover

- Huge responsibility to keeping the child in a good range

- Being "examined" every 3 months on my parenting skills, or at least that's how I see it when the A1c is taken

- Trying to spread my time evenly with all 4 of my kids

- Attempting to not feel overly sorry for my child

The FUN part about being a mom of a T1 child:

- extra enjoyment and appreciation when I get a few hours without my T1 child, it doesn't happen often but when it does I really get to enjoy it even more!

- being able to "spoil" her just a little extra, just because

- Finding really fun new gadgets (meters, kits, bags, pens) to make my T1's life much easier

- Seeing the excitement in my child's face when her numbers are so good and she is feeling super awesome

- Extra time spent with my T1 child, one on one.

- Being appreciated just that much more because she sees how much I do for her.

- learning about diabetes, I love learning new things, especially when it has something to do with one of my children.

- my doctor's and pharmacy staff know me by name

- The awesome people I have met along this journey

- Using diabetes as an excuse to be late....HAHA ok so I really love that one!  I know it's bad but I love it anyway!

Well I guess that's it for now!

Thanks for reading my blog!!
xoxoxox





No comments:

Post a Comment