Monday, September 16, 2013

Bedtime snacks - Which one will we NOT be having again ;-)

You may already be very aware, being a mom to a T1, that bedtime snacking is one of the hardest times of the day.  Well that is the hardest time of the day for me.

Our society encourages us to eat healthy and have lots of fruits and veggies along with lean protein and dairy products.  Which I think is a great way to live life and we, as a family, try and do that as much as possible!

So last night Candy was doing her night time checks, as it goes every night, and her blood glucose (BG) was 5.4 mmil/l (convert it here).  That was fantastic, I was super happy about that number just going to bed.  One little issue, Candy really wanted to have an apple for a bedtime snack.  Ok so you might be thinking "what's wrong with that?  It's healthy isn't it?"  Well yes it is BUT, apples seem to affect a lot of T1s.

Candy counted her carbs and administered a shot of insulin, as per every time she eats.   Being that worried mom I am always up checking her numbers as we really desire to keep them in a tight range and be careful to not go high or low.  So an hour after she went to bed, and our first check of the night, her meter registers 15.0 mmol/l.  OOPS!! I guess that apple was not such a good idea, even with insulin.  So I give her another injection of insulin and about 1 1/2 hours later I check again, we are going on 12 -1 am here, 18.9 her meter is registering.  Ok time for another needle.  My poor little Candy baby always being woken up for pokes and injections.

By this time I was so exhausted and I crawled into bed and didn't wake up until 6:30am.  I was so nervous that I had to rush and make sure she was ok after I gave her that last shot last night.

Her morning BG was 7.3!!  OH YEAH !!! I was so happy to see that.

Moral of the story : Apples are not a good thing for us for a night time snack.

Thanks for reading!  Don't forget to check out our YouTube videos too!

Alisha Wolf
Candy diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic June 2012 - Insulin Dependant - 5-6 needles/day - 6-10 BG checks/day

No comments:

Post a Comment